Take Action Now to Protect the Supreme Court
Demand your Senators honor the integrity of the Supreme Court and of our democracy with a fair nomination and confirmation process. Tell them to stop the politicalization of the Court and the manipulation of our system of checks and balances.
Hours after the passing of Justice Ginsberg, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed that a Justice would be confirmed to the Court before the 2020 Election. At the time of the statement, Election Day was 46 days away and voting was already underway in several states.
A commitment to rush the vetting and lifetime appointment of a Justice to the highest Court in the land demonstrates a disgusting lack of respect for the Constitution, our democracy, and the people. Moreover, it’s a hypocritical manipulation of our system that is rooted in the politicalization of the Court by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Republicans.
In February 2016, Justice Scalia passed away leaving an open seat that led to the following series of events:
- Hours after his death Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced any nomination by then-President Obama would be null and void.
- Eleven Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee signed a letter stating they wouldn’t hold a hearing before the next President was inaugurated almost a year later.
- In March 2016, President Obama nominated Merrick Garland to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- The Senate Judiciary Committee refused to hold any hearings on the nomination despite the fact the election was seven and a half months away.
- The U.S. Supreme Court reconvened in October with only eight Justices deadlocking several cases in 4:4 decisions.
This was unprecedented in our country’s history. Our courts are meant to be impartial, apolitical, arbiters of law and the Constitution.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senators who joined in the obstruction of the nomination process in 2016 can not make up new rules and principles to overrule voters and the President’s nominating power and then only apply those rules when it serves them.
The Senate Majority Leader’s years long agenda of obstruction, process decimation, and politicization of our most sacred institutions culminate in this moment.
Email your Senators to demand action now.